Qualifying LawMain Site
How easy or difficult is to apply to this course? Do you want to know your chances of being accepted?
Rank: 125 (The Complete University Guide)
Location: Main Site
Study mode full-time
Start Date: 2020/10/01
Duration: 24 months
Intl fees: £11775
Sign up to see the offers/rejections of all applicants to this university
Ranking and student feedback
Birkbeck, University of London has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
This programme places the study of law in a historical, social and comparative context. You will develop advanced skills in legal writing, oral presentation and critical reasoning. The programme emphasises the importance of an academic and intellectually challenging approach to the study of law, and of its institutions and processes.The LLM Qualifying Law Degree puts the study of law within the wider socio-economic and political framework, giving you a social-political grounding in the law.Candidates with an outstanding academic record who demonstrate high potential for strong performance on one of our Master's degrees can apply for School of Law Postgraduate Fee Awards.HIGHLIGHTS
- In the latest Research Excellence Framework we were ranked in the top 10 for research intensity in the UK and top three in London, while our research environment was judged conducive to producing research of the highest quality.
- If you already have a degree in a subject other than law, and would like to become a lawyer, then this qualification will enable you to pursue that ambition.
- Allows you to study the core courses you need to complete the academic stage of training for the profession, recognised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Bar Standards Board.
- Our staff are recognised internationally as experts in their fields, and are particularly well known for addressing legal issues from a multidisciplinary, critical and sociolegal perspective.
- A range of extra-curricular activities are organised throughout the year. You will be able to hear guest speakers of international renown and you can participate in our Student Law Society. An annual retreat takes place at Cumberland Lodge in Windsor Great Park, which allows you to explore a range of contemporary issues in law with specialist speakers. You can also participate in our successful mooting programme, where advocacy training is given by experienced, practising barristers.
A second-class honours degree in a subject other than law, minimum second class. The selection process includes an exercise in reasoning and analysis (no previous knowledge of law required). There is no transfer directly into Year 2 and no credit for earlier law studies permitted.
IELTS: 6.5 (not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests)
Notice: This score might not be totally accurate. It is the default IELTS grade for Birkbeck, University of London.
- Bars Standards Board
- Solicitors Regulation Authority