How easy or difficult is to apply to this course? Do you want to know your chances of being accepted?
Rank: 75 (UKEAS)
Location: Main Site
Study mode distance learning
Start Date: 2021/10/01
Duration: 24 months
Intl fees: £9690
Sign up to see the offers/rejections of all applicants to this university
Ranking and student feedback
Birkbeck, University of London has opted into the TEF and received a Silver award.
Birkbeck's MSc Finance combines academic rigour with a solid grounding in the practical, problem-solving skills that employers value. The course will give you excellent, specialist knowledge and training in finance and financial economics, including basic portfolio theory, corporate finance, and pricing theory applied to derivatives and government bond markets. You will also learn the latest econometrics and numerical analysis skills. All of these skills are increasingly valued in the marketplace, banks, commercial firms and government, so this course could help you stand out in a competitive job market. Birkbeck's postgraduate finance courses are built around our long-running experience in research-led evening teaching. Many of our students work in the finance industry, which generates a lively atmosphere in class and ensures that you'll be studying alongside committed, enthusiastic students with a wealth of experience. Our students appreciate the flexibility of this programme and the valuable support and direct interaction (face-to-face or online) with experienced lecturers who are also active researchers at the forefront of their discipline. They are also experienced professional practitioners, giving specialist advice and in-house training to government departments and banks and firms in the City of London. This course is challenging and demanding, so you should demonstrate strong intellectual ability in your application and be willing to work hard.Whichever route you decide to take with our MSc Finance, you will gain access to resources for each module via our Moodle virtual learning environment, for example, typed lecture notes with worked examples and practice exercise, recordings of lectures, opportunities for interaction with lecturers and classmates via discussion forums or through our online teaching platform, Blackboard Collaborate. You will also have access to electronic textbooks and other digital resources via the library. In the past we have had students successfully complete our modules remotely from as far away as Antarctica!If you have prior knowledge in finance, economics or a related field, then this course is also available with advanced pathways in accounting, banking and commodities. HIGHLIGHTS
- This Master's degree combines a high level of academic rigour with a solid grounding in practical problem-solving skills.
- This course is part of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute University Recognition Program.
- The programme is delivered via high-quality, face-to-face teaching in the evenings or via distance learning, so that you can study without putting your life or your ambitions on hold.
- We are a small and friendly department so our academics are available for you to ask questions and discuss your ideas.
- Birkbeck's Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics brings together research and teaching across economics and finance, mathematics and statistics in a single department, which creates significant interdisciplinary synergies.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), more than half of our research outputs in Economics were ranked world-leading or internationally excellent.
Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification. We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
IELTS: 6.5 (all over 6.0)
Notice: This score might not be totally accurate. It is the default IELTS grade for Birkbeck College.
- The Chartered Financial Analyst Institute