Banking and FinanceMain Site
How easy or difficult is to apply to this course? Do you want to know your chances of being accepted?
Rank: 54 (TCUG)
Location: Main Site
Study mode full-time
Start Date: 2020/09/01
Duration: 12 months
Intl fees: £16600
Sign up to see the offers/rejections of all applicants to this university
Ranking and student feedback
The Complete University Guide
Coventry University evaluation:
13.9 : 1
Accounting and finance evaluation:
Coventry University has opted into the TEF and received a Gold award.
Ideal for those considering embarking on a career in the rapidly developing banking and financial sectors, this specialist Master's course examines the role and importance of money and banking in the wider economy.Input from professional bodies such as the Chartered Banker Institute, the main professional body representing retail bank employees in the UK, ensures that course validity is maintained and takes account of the changing nature of the banking industry in recent years; for example, the growing focus on improving ethics, governance and standards in banking.We cover traditional areas of study, such as investment analysis, commercial and investment banking, mergers and acquisitions, derivatives, finance microstructure and taxation. Additionally, you can explore areas of international finance, banking and regulation, growth in Islamic finance and investment and risk management techniques in global financial markets.All our finance courses feature innovative, interactive teaching designed to embed professional skills. There will be opportunities to practise trading on our Bloomberg trading floor, which incorporates the best analytical, news and data platforms. Gaining first-hand experience of these industry-standard tools, you can work simultaneously on multiple split screens, a replication of the real working environment.Staff will share their experience of working as finance professionals in fund management, consultancy and banking for blue chip companies, multinational corporations and public sector organisations across the UK, Europe, North America, South East Asia and Africa.You will have the opportunity to hear from guest speakers from industry, covering topics from banking regulation to corporate governance and employability. You may also have the opportunity gain valuable work experience through a company internship (subject to application and interview), which has seen past students undertake a range of activities, from analysing crowdfunding sources in Asia to conducting in-depth financial planning and forecasting, investor presentation and forecasts for business growth.Key course benefits;
- Strong industry links with major employers like HSBC and Barclays.
- Access to market leading databases, such as Thompson-Reuters Eikon, Bloomberg, Fitch Connect and Datastream.
- The course is recognised by the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII), one of the UK's leading professional financial organisations.
- With around 5,000 students and 300 staff, Coventry Business School is one of the largest in Europe, rated as excellent' by Eduniversal.
- High levels of student satisfaction: 84% for the course overall, teaching, engagement and support with their dissertation in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) 2016.
- Members of our student investment societies perform extremely well in national competitions, including the UK Universities Trading Challenge, winning Best Portfolio Manager' in the UK.
- Research active staff who are widely published: for example, in the Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, European Journal of Finance, Review of Behavioural Finance, Journal of Wealth Management and International Journal of the Economics of Business, to name a few.
Applicants should hold a good honours degree 2.2 or above in a relevant academic discipline. Applications from candidates with relevant experience will be considered on an individual basis.
IELTS: 6.5 (no component lower than 5.5)
Notice: This score might not be totally accurate. It is the default IELTS grade for Coventry University, Banking and finance .
About this university
Around one quarter of students at the university travel from outside the UK and their first point of contact is the International Students Hub. This offers a wide range of information and advice to help adjust to their new environment and integrate with the larger community. There is help for matters such as healthcare and accommodation advice as well as support services and even help with English, if this isn't their first language. The Students Union is both a charity and representative organisation for the students at Coventry. They are based in The Hub and support more than 100 sport clubs and societies as well as an advice centre and volunteering department. The union owns a nightclub on Far Gosford Street and there is a student run radio station called Source Radio. Sports teams play in a number of sports as well as in annual competitions against neighbouring University of Warwick. The societies cover all areas of life to bring together people with the same interests and students can even apply to start their own should they find a space for their interest. These range from cultural and international groups to faith societies and music and performance groups as well as politics and special interests.